Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The Story Continues Part Two of Three

The next day (day 2), after playing in the pool again, we headed to town on the 4:00pm shuttle. We were all excited to see Taylor's new shirt understanding that if it was up to snuff we would all be picking out fabrics for custom tailored garments. The drum roll please...


Quality fabric, check. Excellent fit, check. Nicely styled, check. Taylor approves, check. Houston we are ready for launch. Cameron, Ryan and Taylor all pick out more fabrics to have two shirts made each. Ryan starts murmuring about having a sport coat made, so does Taylor. Ryan asks to have a rash guard (surf shirt) made for boogie boarding since his chest already has abrasions from two days of boarding, so Taylor decides he needs one too. The fun is just beginning. I pick out fabrics so she can copy my favorite Patagonia top. We are all giddy with visions of grandeur. Then we begin negotiating on price for all the goods. Good deals abound! With such great prices I am ready to send word to all of you to send me your measurements and I will have a new custom tailored wardrobe made for you too.


"Ok come back tomorrow" our gals says. I want to leave a big kiss on her cheek I am so excited. Tomorrow it is!!


Tomorrow (day 3) - Same drill, breakfast, pool, 4:00pm shuttle, head to our tailor. More excited than the previous day we await the unveiling. Sport coat, perfect fit. Shirts, Ryan's is great.( now imagine the sound of a balloon bursting), Cameron's shirt is too short and small through the chest, Taylor's the same bad fit. Stunned as to how that could be since the first shirt Taylor had made was beautiful. Was it bait and switch? Rash guard, well lets just say the boys were swimming in theirs, way too big. Plus, the neck hole that is supposed to fit snug was as loose as a shirt collar. We left Cameron's rash guard as a pattern, so what went wrong?


My turn, and I'm hoping for better odds. NO SO! My tops showed so much cleavage that I could have been a hoochie mama on 4th Ave!

She was very appologetic and promised to fix everything. "Come back tomorrow, OK?"

"OK, I'll come back tomorrow."


Tomorrow (day 4) - Same drill, breakfast, pool, 4:00pm shuttle, head to our tailor. Everything that was wrong with the boys items she fixed, sort of. Cameron's shirts were roomier in the chest but still too short for 100% satisfaction. "Look, I make longer" she reports but they are the same length as before. Cameron settles and so do I just to put an end to this saga.


My turn. Again no good! Now it's too loose and therefore still too revealing. I wanted to push the red game show button that buzzes and the announcer politely says "try again." What is so difficult about making a ladies top. (If you are wondering what top it is, check out the Hong Kong bus photo. It's the black one). She offers more adjustments but I need to come back tomorrow. I say "no tomorrow, next day."
We are all tired of traipsing into town to try on clothes. Every time we come in we have to fend off the hordes of sales people. It gets irritating.


The next day (day 6) - No good again.


The next day, next day (day 8) - I am at my wits end and decide that if the tops are not right I am walking away. I will pay for everything else but not the four tops. They turn out just ok. Not a great fit and no where close to my original, beautiful, perfectly made, favorite top but they might suffice.


I tell the gal that I don't want the tops any longer. Quality no good. Poorly made. I don't want them to fall apart on me two months down the road. They are good enough for me to wear now but not superb. She offers me a 20% discount. I want 50%. It's 50% or I leave the tops here. She agrees. I pay. Off we go glad to be done with this whole experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment