Sunday, January 9, 2011

Silver Shopping in Bangkok

Today our family went to a silver shop called Bakhtar Co, Ltd. My brother Taylor, Dad and I are very fond of silver. The day before my Dad and I went to see if there were any silver shops by our hotel. The first one we found was the Bakhtar Co, Ltd. and it looked cool so we decided to walk in.


We asked the lady who worked there"do you have any silver coins?" The she responded "yes" and pulled out three bowls of Persian coins! My Dad and I were shocked at all the coins in front of us. We started to look through them slowly because there were cool markings and dates on the coins. Then the owner's son came over to assist the worker. After looking for 30 minutes my Dad said we would come back tomorrow with Taylor.

Our bag of loot.


The next day we returned with the whole family. Instead of the owner's son it was the owner who helped us. We asked for coins again and this time he brought out the Persian coins plus ancient coins from Jerusalem and Alexandria!


My brother Taylor was in shock because he loves silver, coins, and old history. My Dad, Taylor, and I were asking questions left and right about the history of all the coins. Thankfully the owner studies the languages on the coins and his family has been selling historic artifacts for over seventy years. Finally, we made a deal. My Dad bought two Alexandria coins, three Tibetan coins, six square silver trading beads from Tibet, five Persian coins and two Jewish coins.

We were so excited.


Shopping is fun but it can also be a dangerous game in a foreign country. Sometimes you don't know if you are buying something that is real or fake because they may say something that's not true. But in this case we knew that the silver was real because it was tarnished from old age.

9 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing your coins. Sounds like you are acquiring a nice collection. Collecting coins from all the countries you visit make nice souvenirs. Love, G'ma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ryan -
    This sounds like an exciting day for you guys! We would LOVE to see the coins when you get home...oh, you are going to have so many stories!! :D
    Great post, too - hope to read more of your experiences! Keep your chin up!
    Laura and Ethan :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ryan,

    Wonderful posting about finding the coin shop and your experience there. We look forward to seeing the many interesting souvenirs you'll return with - Linda and Dan

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once again really sorry about the bad news.Can you ask for your money back?I guess it depends on whether you thought it a bargain or not.I really, really hope the sellers did not pretend to be able to read The Phaistos Disc for if they did they really intended to mislead you,as many generation of scholars have tried to decode it to no avail.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you again for all the knowledge you distribute,Good post. I was very interested in the article, it's quite inspiring I should admit. I like visiting you site since I always come across interesting articles like this one.Great Job, I greatly appreciate that.Do Keep sharing! Regards,
    Tang Plaza

    ReplyDelete
  8. Succeed! It could be one of the most useful blogs we have ever come across on the subject. Excellent info! I’m also an expert in this topic so I can understand your effort very well. Thanks for the huge help.
    321 Clementi

    ReplyDelete