Sunday, February 20, 2011

Volcano

On the fifth day of February 2011 my family and I went on a boat and spent one night on an island right across from at the brilliant, famous, volcano Anak Krakatau.
I woke up very tired because I went to bed at 1:00am after our flight from Singapore and a three hour drive to Carita Beach.

Our Hotel at Carita Beach
At 11:00am we walked from our guesthouse to the small local harbor and found our boat with our tour guide.

The small boat harbor across the street from our hotel.
I was so bored on the boat ride, there was nothing to do for three hours. Everyone one of us got sick except my Mom got sick. The reason why is our little boat was bouncing all over because the waves were so big and choppy.

I started dancing and singing with joy when we arrived in the bay where we were camping. Once we got off our boat and walked on to the beach of the island we immediatly begain entertaining ourselves. Taylor, Ryan and I started picking up trash around our camp site. Lame campers before us left a mess and didn't clean up. Taylor dug a big hole in the sand and we burried the trash in the hole. Then I dug an even bigger hole to make a boobie trap. The trap didn't work so well but it was fun anyway.

We made it. There it is!


My pit.
The boat crew and our tour guide set up our tents while we played. My Dad thought it was pretty strange that he was not setting up his own tent like he usually does. He said it was nice to sit back and relax instead.

I woke up the next morning and climbed out of my tent. Taylor climbed out after me. Ryan was already up and made the fire. An hour later we had breakfast and it was delicious. There were rice pancakes, toast and fruit.
Cameron's handicrafts he made from raw materials found on the island.
A mid-morning release of steam and ash. Just a typical day.

We spent the day swimming, snorkeling and playing on the island.




We packed up and sailed to Anak Krakatau and climbed half way to the top because if you go to the top you would incinerate. On the way up dust got in my eyes and I was coughing because we were breathing sulfur and ash. When we reached the top we quickly took some pictures and we climbed back down. I wrote in the sand "Cameron has been here."

On top of the first ridge. As far as we can go. Breathing was difficult with the toxins in the air.


After the climbing the volcano we went snorkeling, fishing and then sailed back. The trip was awesome!

2 comments:

  1. it would be nice if your "cameron has been here" stays in the sand until you return!!! Granma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to meet you at the Shatti Starbucks in Muscat! Hope you'll write an Oman post soon :)

    ReplyDelete