Thursday, February 17, 2011

Kuala Lumpur

Every city has a different feeling. Beijing felt claustrophobic, Copenhagen felt friendly, Ulaanbaatar felt like Anchorage, and Hong Kong felt lively. When we arrived in Kuala Lumpur it felt like "every man for himself." KL has three major kinds of ethnic groups, Hindu, Chinese, and Malay. When we were there we did not encounter many friendly people (I can only think of four) and I didn't feel like we were accepted by people. I think that a lot of people shrugged us off like, oh you westerner, which was the fist time in all of Asia we have experienced that. Every time I or someone in my family would try to talk, people would interrupt us like they had a better thing to say. I bet if you went to KL you wouldn't feel that because you would have come from Alaska. I say that because we haven't been in developed countries for some time. In China and other places in Southeast Asia everyone really liked us because they don't see many whites and they would always say that we have a good family.

In KL they are very proud of their origins and don't need help from other races. I have noticed that when you are a first world country or a country that hasn't had a major catastrophe in the last 80 years the people are very confident.

The second point is that there is a large Hindu population that we encountered. As a race, Indians are rude by western standards but they think that it is fine. So we endured a lot of pushiness and nonresponsive looks. We had nicer responses from the Muslims than the Hindus.
It is strange because although the people in KL were not that nice, in Melaka everyone was really nice. I think that because Melaka is smaller, people are more friendly and they have a long history with westerners. KL was established by Chinese and Malays while Melaka was est. and grown by the Dutch and Portuguese so Melaka has had to depend on westerners to sustain its economy. Over all I still think that Malaysia is great.

1 comment:

  1. You are becoming very wise my young friend...pop

    ReplyDelete