Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Argentinian Buses


When we were in Bueno Aires or the city of good air we set out with our bags to go to the bus station to catch a bus to Mendoza. Instead of taking a taxi like we usually do we decided to take the sub way because it was more convenient. Each ticket on the subway only cost $.25 per person.

Because it was rush hour a lot of people were squeezing in and out of the subway car. Our bodies were all squished together while we were watching one another's backpacks for theives. We rode the line all the way to the end of and walked to the bus station. We didn't know where our bus was so we decided to ask the information desk. We approached the small kiosk and my Mom asked "Where is the Andesmar bus that leaves for Mendoza at 19:10?" The lady said "Go to the end of the bus station and the bus should be at terminal 38." So we walked all the way to the end and looked for the terminal 38.

We found our bus and hoped on. The bus was quite luxurious. It had two decks and we were on the second deck. After we were on the road for about an hour and everybody was settled, the bus steward, kind of like a flight attendant, said it was time to play Bingo! He handed out a small square piece of paper with sixteen numbers and a toothpick to punch out the numbers.

Because he was talking in Spanish my family and I couldn't understand what he was saying but I assumed that he said "This is the prize for the winner of bingo when he showed a bottle of wine. He began reading the numbers off and then my Mom said "Bingo." He walked over to check her card and said in Spanish that you have to black out the whole card to win the game but my Mom figured it out. We continued to play until a man in the back said in a quiet voice "Bingo." Once I heard these words I was disappointed because I only had two more numbers to go.

The bus steward walked down the isle, checked his card, and gave him the bottle of wine. Once we finished this fun game the bus stewad put on a movie about Michael Jackson's music videos. My brothers and I made fun of the movie. I fell asleep at the end of the movie. I slept all through the night and by the bright sunrise I awoke.

Right after I woke up the bus steward brought everybody breakfast. The breakfast was just ok and bland. Before I knew it we were in Mendoza, Argentina. The bus pulled up into a small parking space at the small bus station. We got off and unloaded our luggage. The town was beautiful with lots of trees and vineyards everywhere. We took two small taxis to our hostel because we are five people with ten bags and we don't fit into one taxi.

Over all I really liked the over night bus and our time in Mendoza. Here are a few photos of our trip to Mendoza.




Riding the Subway to the bus station.

Oak barrels at our wine tour.

Olive trees

Inka Bridge and old hotel

Aconcagua Mountain, tallest in South America, 22,841 ft.

1 comment: